Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Thank You, Jon Stewart


If you read my threads, you already know I'm a big fan of The Daily Show. But the other night, Jon Stewart really connected with me with his "Old Man Stewart" rant about Twitter.

Twitter. For the past couple years, people have been trying to get me to sign up for it. I haven't.

But this isn't some quirk in the life of Craig-O. Oh no... I've never really been into new tech. I'm the guy who had a pager at 18 (about 5 years after pagers were the new thing), and waited until his 21st birthday to pick up a cell phone. I still view Blu-Ray as a quaint little fad. This suspicion of new technologies all started fifteen years ago, when I got burned by the mini-disc format.

Which brings us back to Twitter. To this day, I have no idea how Twitter works. But I have a vague idea that it's not unlike the Facebook thing where you tell everyone, "what you're doing right now".

Newsflash! Nobody cares!

Though I guess I'm supposed to care about Twitter. If our Senators and Representatives can Twitter during the Economic State of the Union address, Twitter must be something especially important.

You know, when our Congressional officials resort to acting like a bunch of schoolgirls passing notes in class during a speech about the crisis that may lead to our country's bankruptcy, I don't exactly feel very optimistic about our government.

In fact, two words describe how I feel about our current situation. "We're fucked."

Now maybe I'll go sign up for this Twitter thing and Tweet that to all my friends.

No comments: